Saturday 7 April 2012

Self-directed: Out of control facial expression

From all my previous explorations I have come to the conclusion that I want to focus my project on "out of control" facial expressions, as I find these most interesting and amusing. As "out of control" facial expressions are not posed and the best faces are pulled for only a fraction of a second I have decided that illustrating them would not be the best way to capture the expression. 

As there are so many different faces pulled when a person is out of control, and there is such a difference from being able to control your facial expression to loss of control, I feel the best way to show and express these expressions is to produce them in the form of a flip book. I think a flip book is more interesting and interactive than a single image of what I consider to be the best face pulled. Gives the audience a chance to look at points in between their controlled face and the most expressive face, a chance to look at it a a motion and even the chance to look at it flicking backward for their own amusement.

After speaking with tutors and a gentleman in the visual resources work rooms I have decided to record my subject expressions in HD Video, that way I'm capturing more frames per second than any still photos could, making sure that I don't miss out on any faces pulled in the fractions of seconds they will be reacting. I has to be HD so make sure I have the best quality images for my flip book.


From asking different people what makes them pull out control faces, I found that the majority said: laughter, crying, eating lemon, being shocked, sneezing, eating chilli, eating raw onion, drinking straight spirits and feeling pain. I intent to recreate as many of these expressions using these stimuli as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment